Elder Abuse

I am concerned that my elderly neighbour is being mistreated by her adult son who lives with her. He drinks heavily and she always seems afraid of him. She confided in me recently that he threatens her if she does not give him money each week. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Elder abuse is defined as any act, or failure to act, which results in a breach of a vulnerable person’s human rights, civil liberties, physical and mental integrity, dignity or general well-being, whether intended or through negligence, including sexual relationships or financial transactions to which the person does not or cannot validly consent, or which are deliberately exploitative.

There are several forms of elder abuse to include psychological abuse, neglect and acts of omission; financial or material abuse; physical abuse; sexual abuse.

Psychological Abuse:

  • Feeling afraid in your home.
  • Intimidation caused by attitude or behaviour of others


  • Not receiving enough food or drink
  • Being provided with unclean and unsuitable clothing
  • Left alone for long periods if elderly person is immobile.

Financial Abuse:

  • Under pressure to give money to someone else
  • Your money is spent on someone for things other than your bills
  • Under pressure to allow someone else access to your accounts

Physical Abuse:

  • Violent of rough treatment
  • Infliction of pain

I understand that the HSE have an Elder Abuse Service and if you remain concerned about your neighbour it would be advisable to suggest to her that she contact this service for help.

Further, parents may seek protection of the Courts in securing a Protection Order, Safety Order or Barring Order against their adult children over the age of 18 years if necessary. Your elderly neighbour may wish to arrange a consultation with her Solicitor for further advice in this regard.



Oak House,
39-41 Mardyke Street,
Co. Westmeath
N37 TA44

Tel: (090) 647 8433
Email: info@bccsolicitors.ie


9 Gray Office Park,
Galway Retail Park,
Headford Road,
Galway City
H91 WC1P

Tel: (091) 511 421
Email: info@bccsolicitors.ie


Upper Ormond Quay,
Dublin 7

Tel: (090) 647 8433
Email: info@bccsolicitors.ie


Main Street,
Co. Westmeath
N37 EW70

Tel: (090) 648 2090
Email: info@bccsolicitors.ie


Main Street,
Co. Longford
N39 C8Y7

Tel: (043) 332 1200
Email: info@bccsolicitors.ie

Scroll to Top