Accident at Work

Today we discuss what happens if you have had an accident at work.

I was recently injured in an accident at work. I was working alongside my colleague when he tripped on a loose cable which in turn caused the machine I was working on to shut down violently. I injured my arm and I will be out of work for several weeks as a result. I am in difficult financial circumstances but I do not want to sue my work colleague for compensation. Is there anything else I can do

Every employer is obliged to provide a safe place of work for his employees. Furthermore, employees are expected to take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and of other people in the workplace. However, if an employee, whilst acting in the course of his employment negligently causes an accident which injures another then the employer may be considered vicariously liable for that incident. In such circumstances an employer, or in his insurers, may be liable to compensate the injured employee.

Employers must have a Safety Statement in place setting out policies and procedures regarding accident prevention. All accidents must be reported to the employer who should in turn investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident. Witnesses to the incident should also be interviewed.

Under the Statute of Limitations one has two years from the date of accident to bring a compensation claim for personal injuries.

You should consult with your Solicitor without delay who will advise on the best course of action to take.



Oak House,
39-41 Mardyke Street,
Co. Westmeath
N37 TA44

Tel: (090) 647 8433


9 Gray Office Park,
Galway Retail Park,
Headford Road,
Galway City
H91 WC1P

Tel: (091) 511 421


Upper Ormond Quay,
Dublin 7

Tel: (090) 647 8433


Main Street,
Co. Westmeath
N37 EW70

Tel: (090) 648 2090


Main Street,
Co. Longford
N39 C8Y7

Tel: (043) 332 1200

Scroll to Top